The province of Quebec has its own immigration rules for sponsorship. You can sponsor a close relative if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Quebec, are at least 18 years of age and meet the requirements.

The sponsorship covers a close relative and, where applicable, accompanying family members.

Prerequisites for sponsorship:

You must meet all the requirements below, in addition to any specific requirements that apply.

  • You must have fulfilled all previous commitments. If Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale (MESS) previously determined that you were in default, you must have repaid the full amount paid in last-resort financial assistance (social assistance) or special benefits to the person you sponsored.
  • You must not receive last-resort financial assistance (social assistance) except benefits due to your age or a disability that creates severe, permanent or indefinite barriers to employment.
  • You must have fulfilled your obligations under a ruling ordering you to pay alimony within the past five years. Otherwise, you must have repaid any amount owing.
  • You must not have been convicted, in Canada or abroad, of a sexual offence, an attempt or threat to commit such an offence against any person or an offence causing bodily harm, or an attempt or threat to commit such an offence against a family member or relative, your spouse, your de facto spouse or your conjugal partner or a relative or member of their family unless you have been acquitted or pardoned or finished serving your sentence at least five years before you apply.
  • If you are sponsoring your father, mother, grandfather or grandmother, a dependent child who has a child, or a close relative who is a minor and an orphan, you must demonstrate your financial capacity, i.e., that you dispose of sufficient financial resources for the duration of the undertaking.
  • You must not be subject to a removal order or be detained in a penitentiary or prison.
  • You may not sponsor a spouse, de facto spouse or conjugal partner who is under 16 years of age.
  • You must ensure that if the sponsored person is of legal age, he or she signs the declaration certifying that he or she fully understands the nature and scope of the undertaking.