To qualify as a dependent, your child must be within the age limit and meet the requirements of a dependent child.
Definition of dependent children with new age limit:
The age limit of dependent children has changed from “under 19” to “under 22.”
Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
- they’re under 22 years old, and
- they don’t have a spouse or partner
Dependents over the age limit
Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependents if they meet both of these requirements:
- they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
- they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
Dependent children, both natural and adopted, may be sponsored to live with their parent(s) as permanent residents in Canada. The child sponsorship program is a subsection of the Family Class of immigration.
In order to be eligible for this program, both the Canadian citizen or permanent resident (also called the ‘sponsor’) and their child abroad (the ‘sponsored person’) must be approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in order for the sponsored person to receive a visa.
To receive a visa through this immigration program, the sponsor and the sponsored person will be required to prove their relationship to one another. Individuals whose adoption proceedings are in the final phases of processing may begin sponsoring their child before the adoption has been finalized.
How to Apply For Dependent Visa Canada & its Requirements?
In order to sponsor your family member through Dependent Visa for Canada you will need to provide the following
1. Documented proof of your financial status and cash flow for the previous 12 months to show that you are financially sound and capable of supporting your family members.
2. If you are sponsoring your child for a Canadian Dependent Visa then he or she,
- Must be below 22 years of age
- Must be able to prove that they are indeed financially dependent on you
- If your child is unable for any reason, either physical or mental, to earn his own money then you can sponsor him after providing sufficient proof of the same
- The child should be your biological child or adopted child
3. You will need to provide a birth certificate or adoption certificate to show the proof of your relationship
4. The child will need to undergo a medical and criminal test and may be prevented from entering the country if they have been found to have a criminal record or medical ailment that is likely to be contagious or cause an epidemic.
Who Can Be Sponsored Through Dependent Visa Canada?
You can sponsor the following categories of relatives under the dependent visa for Canada:
1. Your spouse or common law partner
2. Your biological or adopted children or children you intend to adopt
3. Your siblings
4. The children of your siblings
5. Your grandparents or your grand children (provided they are orphans)